Living in Australia, mould is extremely common as it thrives in warm environments, especially in areas above average humidity. Almost all homeowners and tenants have experienced indoor mould growth, however, what you may not know is that it has the potential to cause damage to your home and health. All homeowners and tenants need to be well-informed about mould growth, its health risks, and effective methods for prevention and removal.
Mould is a type of fungus that thrives in damp, dark environments. It reproduces through spores that are invisible to the naked eye, making it easy for mould to spread unnoticed. Common household moulds include Cladosporium, Penicillium, and Aspergillus.
Causes of Mould Growth
Mould requires moisture, organic materials, and warmth to flourish. Common causes of mould growth include:
- Leaky roofs and walls including blocked gutters and downpipes
- Leaky plumbing
- Condensation from cooking, showering, clothes drying and breathing in areas with poor air circulation
Mould exposure can have detrimental effects on your health. Mould spores can trigger allergic reactions, respiratory problems, and aggravate existing conditions such as asthma. Individuals with weakened immune systems may be more susceptible to mould-related health issues.
- Fix leaky plumbing and roofs
- Ensure gutters are cleaned and maintained
- Reduce condensation by using exhaust fans or opening a window
- Air your home regularly
- Wipe up excess water
If you discover mould growth in your home, it’s crucial to tackle it promptly and effectively. Small areas of mould can often be cleaned using a solution of water and detergent. However, larger or persistent mould infestations may require professional assistance. Remember to wear protective gear, such as gloves and masks, when handling mould to avoid exposure.
Mould growth can be a persistent and harmful issue for homeowners, but by understanding its causes and taking proactive steps, you can control any mould growth.