Our Social Responsibility
ABC Group is proud to be a part of the local community of Brisbane Metro, and in extension to this a part of Queensland, and feel it is important to play a role in the fabric of this great Nation. We maintain strong connections with local government bodies, South East Queensland Chambers of Commerce, school and education institutions through our business projects and also try to match our practices to the needs of the community and environment where possible
Due to this we aim to maintain a high level of corporate responsibility by providing beneficial policies and procedures to meet sustainable practices in our local community and also the environment.
Our Commitment to Sustainability
ABC Group has a commitment to the continual development and implementation of effective sustainability solutions in our business processes and practices, to benefit our impact on the environments of which we work. This includes initiatives within the workplace and also through all of our project management processes. It is our policy at ABC Group that we actively, as employees of the company, pursue methods of minimising our cost to the environment and building them into our daily practices.
Our Impact On The Environment
At ABC Group, our core business is based around providing construction and project management to service the Residential, Commercial, Government and Insurance sectors. By conducting these services we are ultimately making an impact on the environment through our construction processes and the internal management processes, and our goal is to minimise this effect on the environment through adhering to our current policies on sustainable practices and also identifying new initiatives to minimise our environmental footprint.
Environmental Management Strategy
Internal Business Practices:
Human Resources Management
Ensure an environmental component is included in:
- Recruitment processes – attract and retain employees who have a sustainability focus
- Job Descriptions: inclusive of sustainability focus and employee responsibilities
- Training: Induction, OH&S, periodical training modules
- Document management of employee files to include: job description, the number of training modules completed, additional information on sustainability.
- Performance Reviews to include measured outcomes of meeting job and company sustainability practices.
Vehicle / Fleet Management
- Buying and Leasing:
- Conduct an annual review of vehicles and ascertain value or requirement of need for the business.
- Buy or lease vehicles that are relevant for the work associated, efficient on fuel usage.
- Utilise advise from websites such as ww.greenvehiclesguide.gov.au for guidance on vehicle types that reduce financial expenditure and environmental impact.
- Fuel Consumption:
- Where possible, utilise E10 fuel type or best alternative to ensure usage of most environmentally friendly emissions.
- Practice efficient driving to save money on fuel, and environmental emissions output by driving vehicle sensibly, limiting brake usage, avoiding areas of congestion where possible, and do not leave motor running on car if not necessary.
Office Waste Management:
- Where possible, opt for electronic document management rather than printing.
- Recycle and reuse: consider recycling paper for internal printing of documents. Print on recycled paper where possible.
- Consider recycling options when disposing of waste materials.
- Management team review of effectiveness
- Turn off computers when not in use
- Turn off lights when not in use; use energy efficient light fixtures
- Opt for fresh air instead of air condition if possible
- Reduction in electrical and heating bills
External Business Practices
Construction Waste Management
- Demolition Waste: dispose of thoughtfully and aligned to Australian legislations
- Asbestos Demolition Waste: dispose of under Australian legislation requirements
- Usage of suppliers who meet our environmental policy of sustainable waste management, such as ‘green’ skip bins ( www.greenbins.com.au), is an important process to ensure our wastage disposal and environmental footprint is minimized.
- Management quality assurance and OH&S reporting
At ABC Group we focus on working with suppliers who provide environmentally beneficial products, and preferably work toward meeting their own internal sustainability program that is aligned to ours.
- Usage of raw construction products that are identified as environmentally friendly or promoting sustainable production methods (including material selection, energy and water efficient products).
- Accessing information on sources of sustainable building and construction supplies (e.g. RIC Good Wood Guide).
- Inventory / purchase order information
Clients / Customers
- Encourage clients to consider sustainable products and solutions as a part of their construction choices by providing alternative, sustainable options for construction products and processes
- Build joint venture programs with clients to promote environmentally sustainable business solutions, products and services and meet united objectives.
- Internal document review of Customer Liaison project documentation
- Inventory / purchase order information
- Program success of joint ventures, as per agreed objectives per venture